I know you’ve all had those moments where your home electrical system isn’t working. You flip the switch, and nothing happens. This can be a very frustrating experience, but some easy fixes to this problem can help you out! Here are some common electrical issues and how to fix them.
Overloaded Circuits – if your electric bill is sky high, you may be experiencing an overloaded circuit. To fix this problem, move some of the appliances to another outlet.
There are two things you can do when your circuits are becoming overworked and burning out. You can attempt to cut up the failed section of wire, or you can try a few things like replacing some fuse holders or relocating them apart. Electrician Arlington TX recommends doing the first option because you have more control and possibly the money. However, if you’re not an electrician, we’ll assume you have no clue what to do.
You will need to take apart any circuits that are currently under warranty so that you can find out what type they are and if they need to be replaced or repaired. To prevent an accident, Electrician Denton TX will tell you to avoid using the standard methods for cutting through circuits like wire strippers and jumpers.
There is No Power at All – it’s possible that a fuse blew and needs to be replaced or the breaker flipped back on.
If there is no electricity, electricians often install new wiring that carries power to the home. New wiring needs to have proper wiring so that it does not overload the home. If there is already too much wiring, then electricians often install extra wiring to help relieve the strain on the existing wiring system. Some electricians repair the damage that has already been done to the home’s wiring system if it was found to be faulty.
Lights Flickering or Going Out – check for loose wires and ensure there isn’t any water near the switchboard. Below are some possible reasons why lights are flickering or going out:
- The bulb may have burned out.
- There could be a loose connection between the power source and the light fixture.
- A circuit breaker might have been tripped or blown.
- Some lights may flicker because of an electrical issue in your home’s wiring system.
- If you’re using old incandescent bulbs, they will not last as long as LED lights, which are more energy-efficient and durable.
- Your home’s wiring needs to be inspected for any signs of deterioration or damage that might cause problems with flickering lights.
Hot Outlets – look for frayed cords and replace them as needed; make sure nothing else is plugged into these outlets. If there are hot outlets in your home, you should:
- Turn off the breaker for that circuit.
- Use a voltage tester to identify which outlet is hot.
- Shut off power at the main panel and turn it back on after you have identified the correct breaker or fuse
- Check your wiring with a wire map, also known as a “wiring diagram,” to see if there’s any damage to your home’s electrical system.
- If you don’t know how to read a wiring diagram, call an electrician who can come out and fix it for you.
- Call an electrician if you feel unsafe about working on these issues yourself.
The Sizzling Sound is Coming From a Cord- unplug it immediately! This could mean that it has been exposed to moisture and should not be used until repaired by a professional.
Buzzing Sounds Coming From Lights- It means they are running on too much voltage, so turn off one light bulb in each fixture until the buzzing stops. You could also:
- Check for loose connections between the light fixture and wires or any other electrical components.
- Look for signs of insects such as ants, bees, hornets, wasps, or yellow jackets near your lights.
- Inspect your ceiling fixtures – if you see evidence that points to an insect infestation, then it is time to call pest control professionals.
- If there are no signs of insects in your home, but you still hear buzzing sounds coming from lights, then it may be due to faulty wiring.
- Contact an electrician if this is the case so they can inspect your house wiring and fix any problems found.
Blinking Lights- this usually indicates a blown bulb which can easily be replaced with minimal effort.
Outlets Sparking When Touched- shut down power flow immediately before touching anything metal after doing so